Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Urban Archaeology (No. 002)

The William J. Syms Operating Pavilion
-or- Alice in Wonderland, A Practical Application

In our day to day operations we scarcely take the time to glance at the details offered in New York. In fact, were we to take in even a quarter of the ornate facades, hidden doorways, and secret mews we'd never get where we were going. New York is a city of white rabbits. We haven't the time.

It is for this reason that once in a while I make a clear shift. I elect to be Alice for the day. I allow curiosity and exploration to trump urgency, and I let the city reveal itself layer by grimy layer. An intriguing past always surfaces, and often builds upon deeper stories. The urban archeology of a city like New York is akin to a dig anywhere else. One ancient truth in the life of a society reveals another below it.

I've walked past the The William J. Syms Operating Pavilion almost every day for two years. I assumed it was the converted lobby of the enormous apartment building looming above it (I've certainly seen churches and other stately structures converted to the same).

Turns out the charming brick facade could have been a pile of rubble but for the grace of a developer who not only elected to keep it, but to take cues from its design for the adjacent residential tower. The Brodsky Organization's respect for an undesignated landmark preserved a piece of history.

The William J. Syms Operating Pavilion was the first of its kind in the US. Based on designs from inventive surgeon Gustav Neuber, it was built in 1886 under the auspices of architect W. Wheeler Smither, and medical supervision of Dr. Charles McBurney. A particularly satisfied patient, Mr. William J. Syms willed upon his death a sum of $250,000 for the specific use of building the operating theatre under Dr. McBurney's purview. [source]

The pavilion was isolated and featured a plethora of marble to ensure easy disinfecting as well as rounded, sloped corners to prevent the collection of bacteria. This kind of disease prevention and medical teaching was unprecedented at the time (most poorer patients underwent surgeries at home). The Roosevelt Hospital paved the way for modern surgical practices.

Of interest was the stance of the Roosevelt Hospital--just before the pavilion was built--in regards to patient care. In an article from The New York Times dated December 6, 1891 the hospital claims:
"No person whether a resident of this city or not, whether black or white, whether rich or poor, who is in need of hospital treatment is denied admission to Roosevelt because of inability to pay for that treatment."
Oh, how times have changed. A reminder that while time marches forward, it does not prevent us from sliding backward.

Today, the building is no longer affiliated with the hospital. Nor is it, as I had assumed, part of the adjacent building. It's occupied by an institution that continues Roosevelt's earlier philanthropic ideals, The Open Society Institute. The Society -- founded and overseen by hedge fund magnate George Soros--:
"...works to build vibrant and tolerant democracies whose governments are accountable to their citizens. To achieve its mission, OSI seeks to shape public policies that assure greater fairness in political, legal, and economic systems and safeguard fundamental rights." [source]
Further citing:
"OSI initiatives cover a range of activities aimed at building free and open societies, including grantmaking to strengthen civil society; economic reform; education at all levels; human rights; legal reform and public administration; media and communications; public health; and arts and culture." [source]
A long way from a residential lobby or a pile of rubble.

In my adventures in a wonderland of buried and too-easily-forgotten past I rediscovered something essential: history repeats itself.

So often it seems we assume a negative connotation for that repetition. In this case, the generous gratitude of a patient echoed the already outwardly philanthropic attitude of the hospital, and reverberated decades later in the form of an institute that has worldwide reach. It didn't diminish, it magnified.

So, with the repetition of history established, take a moment to stop looking at your pocket watch, take in your magnificent surroundings, and ask yourself:

What legacy do you want to leave?

INFO:
The William J. Syms Operating Pavilion (Theatre)
Currently: The Open Society Institute
www.soros.org
59TH St. at 9Th Avenue

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this revelation. I'd never have known. Your blog whets my appetite. I'll enjoy watching you solve more architectural mysteries.
    By the way, I chose the charm of the upper west side's quiet, shaded streets for the final action setting in my newest novel, Amazon Avenger, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upper West Side is charming, and FULL of architectural mysteries... I'll endeavor to unfold as many as possible!

    Amazon Avenger... where can I read more about it?

    ReplyDelete